Sometimes, when used computer, you will see the message “Working on update” and a crash occurs. The following article will give the reasons as well as how to fix this problem.
1. Common notifications when updating Windows
Every period of time, Windows will release updates to fix bugs, fix security holes, add new functions, .. to make the process of using the user more comfortable.
Microsoft usually releases updates The second Tuesday of each month or sometimes it will launch without notice to fix security problems, …
At this time, when Windows update will often appear the following message to let you know and prevent interference in the update process:
– Preparing to configure Windows. / Do not turn off your computer (Prepare to set up the operating system / Do not turn off your computer).
– Configuring Windows updates / x% complete / Do not turn off your computer (Configuring Windows updates / x% complete / Do not turn off your computer).
Notify when Windows is updating
– Please do not power off or unplug your machine. / Installing update x of x … (Please do not turn off or unplug the machine. / Install x update of x …).
– Working on updates / x% complete / Don’t turn off your computer (Working on updates / x% complete / Do not turn off your computer).
– Keep your PC on until this is done / Installing update x of x … (Keep your PC until it’s finished / Install x update x …).
– Getting Windows ready / Don’t turn off your computer (Get Windows ready / Don’t turn off your computer).
Note: The “x” above represents the percentage to complete the update.
2. How to tell if the computer is actually suspended or frozen
Usually, you are aware if the Windows update is suspended by looking at the screen. The screen of the device will not appear from 3 hours or more.
After that period of time, you can continue to watch the lights work on your computer’s hard drive. If the light is regularly on but the time is very short, it means that the phone does not hang. If you do not see the light, it means that the phone has hung.
Sometimes the device may hang before the 3-hour mark, but this is a reasonable time to wait and watch. In addition, there are some fairly heavy updates that take a long time to complete.
3. Cause the computer hangs, stands when updating Windows
There are many reasons why a Windows update might freeze.
Typically, this problem may be caused by a conflict between hardware that is incompatible with the version of Windows that you use. Outdated hardware or old versions of Windows can also cause crashes.
Use new hardware to handle tasks faster
In addition, the computer hangs due to the update process, Windows has to complete many tasks but the hard drive is old, the write / read speed is slow.
4. How to fix when the computer hangs, stands when updating Windows
Here are some fixes that you can use in case your computer crashes when updating Windows.
– Method 1: Press Ctrl + Alt + Del. When the phone hangs, press this key combination to return to the Windows login screen. Then log in again and let the updates continue to install.
Ctrl + Alt + Del key combination
– Method 2: Restart your computer with the Reset button or power off, then turn it on again by the power button.
– Method 3: If you are taken to the board Advanced Boot Options (Advanced boot options) or Startup Settings menu (Boot installation) after reboot, please select Safe mode (Safe Mode).
Safe mode is a special diagnostic mode that only downloads the minimum drivers and services that Windows needs. If another program or service conflicts with a Windows update, the installation process may be terminated.
If the update installs successfully, you can continue Safe Mode, reboot to get into Windows normally.
– Method 4: Use System Restore (System Restore) to undo the changes that were made.
System restore on PC
Since you cannot access Windows because the computer is still hanging, try doing it in Safe Mode.
If you restore the system successfully, the computer will be returned to the status before updating.
– Method 5: Try System Restore from Advanced Startup Options (Windows 10 & 8) or System recovery options (System Recovery Options) (Windows 7 & Vista) in case you cannot access Safe mode or if recovery fails from Safe mode.
– Method 6: You can try the automatic repair process. Although System Restore is a direct way, sometimes the computer needs a more comprehensive repair process and works in a more orderly manner.
+ Windows 10 & Windows 8: Try Startup Repair. If that doesn’t work, use the Reset This PC procedure.
+ Windows 7 & Windows Vista: Use the Startup repair process.
+ Windows XP: Use the Repair Install procedure.
– Method 7: Check computer memory. There may be a problem with RAM causing the installation to freeze.
– Method 8: Update the BIOS (Basic import and export system). If one or more updates are attempting to install related to the motherboard or hardware, the BIOS update may solve the problem.
Update the BIOS
– Method 9: Clean up Windows settings. This includes completely erasing the hard drive on which Windows is installed and reinstalling Windows.
Thank you for watching and see you in the following article.